Friday, May 11, 2018

On the Horizon


I do see myself as a social change agent because I understand how the core foundations of communal structure portrays itself to Society. The Environmental Issues in todays world are based upon allocation of financial gain to large corporations however I have become educated by validating certain aspects of environment justice to help combat the on-going issues on the Environment. With my skills I would hope to preserver the techniques I have learned to help save some resources for the future generation can enjoy. 
I want to focus on giving back to my community on the Hoopa Valley Indian Reservation located north eastern of Humboldt county. I would help with the local struggles by giving my service to help protect the tribes culture and way of life. To define one of the tribe’s problem would have to be food sovereignty. Identifying traditional foods and medicines through the concept of traditional ecological knowledge will help with land management to secure traditions for future generation use. 
Experience is what I have obtain from capstone. Learning to find an organization with the same passions as for the love of the land can enhance my goal into becoming a great steward of the land.
The capstone has shaped my goals by defining what I hold dear in my heart, the life of the river because water is life. Helping restore the watershed has encouraged me to understand the dynamics of a specific biodiversity and habitat and why the niche is important for individual organisms for an example riparian zones. These areas have a high concentration of ferns which some of them are used for basket material for local tribe’s. These baskets are essential into cooking, gathering, and ceremonial caps for women conducting into prayer.
The skill that I have obtain is the experience to gather data in the field that can help persuade arguments into the position of natural resource management. The change would be better for the environment by providing restoration and conservation practices by identifying potential hazards, and cultural significant resources. The idea became manifested by wanting to save my homeland.  




Surveying Campbell Creek watershed located in north eastern Humboldt county. The Campbell creek watershed is a major tributary to the Trinity River. Implementing mitigation plans for conservation and restoration. There are many environmental impacts that are potential hazards to the water runoffs and aquifers such as legal/illegal cannabis grows, illegal solid waste dumping, and sedimentation from old logging roads. Using ARCpro to locate these potential hazards using mobile devices in the Campbell Creek Watershed, and by interpreting aerial imagery can provide a baseline of information for measuring activity that can be harmful to the ecosystem that provides an abundance of resources for a complex bio-diversity and cultural resources for the Hupa Tribe.
ENST vision is to promote TEK; traditional ecological knowledge and how its important to the environment.
The capstone expectations were exceeded this semester because I gained the experience to increase my skill in geospatial science.
By identifying the hazards and to promote policies through the county to ensure the right qualifications were needed to ensure a productive allocation for restoration.
The limitations are going through a rigorous process through the state and federal levels to ensure an act gets done properly.
The reading help gave the foundation of an ENST lens to help promote a collective ontology to identify the issues the environmental is facing when taking action in the capstone project. 
The next steps will to be focus on my minor/ emphasis. Having the skills in geospatial science have given my opportunities to increase my experience in multiple fields. The summer of 2018 is going to be fulfilling and rewarding. I gained a paid internship focusing on Elk habitat on the Yurok Indian Reservation. I am thrilled to advance my studies on the prairie systems and how important they are to the indigenous tribe. My goal is to acquire more skills in mobile mapping by focusing on drones and how they can be used in the field by providing better imagery. Overall, I am on a productive path.

                                                                                                              

2 comments:

  1. This was nice and impressive post i read it and it was incredible thank you so much for sharing this kind of info with us you are so good and amazing with your work i appreciate that thank you.  Website

    ReplyDelete