Thursday, May 10, 2018

Knowing My Capabilities

Robert Johnson - Blog 4


Before I step off the last rung of the ladder, I ask myself, “should I be on this roof?”

At this point of time, I had no choice. I took the blunt end of the pike pole and sounded the roof by striking the roof surface, looking for hot spots and weaknesses in the structure. It sounded and felt solid. I peered down at my partner on the ladder and gave her the go ahead signal. She was carrying up the chainsaw. I took my first step onto the roof and continued to strike the surface. I then turned and accepted the chainsaw from my partner, so she could approach the rooftop safely. Once she was up, I handed the chainsaw back to her. We needed to progress up the gable roof to the mid ridge.

Time is our utmost concern, for we have little knowledge of the fire progressing inside. Our goal is to minimize the radiant heat in the house, by opening up a ventilation hole that would release gases. So far there were no warning signs of an unsafe roof. This would consist of melting asphalt, a spongy roof, or smoke and fire seeping out from the rooftop.

We stopped five feet before the mid ridge. The roof seemed stable so we chose our location. On the other side of the pike pole are two fork-like prongs. I slammed the two prongs into the roof and layed down the pole, securing parallel with the mid ridge. This enables me to utilize the tool as a footing. My partner is communicating with Incident Command, to verify all locations of our team. Also informing them that we are proceeding on the opening. She hands me the chainsaw and then anchors herself next to my back leg for extra safety precaution.

My mind is quickly assessing all the side variables. What level is our oxygen at? How many layers of roofing is there? What is the wind doing? What is our second means of escape?

The wind was light and at my back, so this meant that the smoke would push away from me once the hole was made. I turned on the chainsaw and prepared to make my cuts. When cutting, the chainsaw must be in a 90 degree angle. The first cut I made was a vertical cut about 4 feet long, away from my body. Smoke began releasing through the seam. I then proceeded to make a horizontal cut on top about 3 feet. This cut is crucial because beams come in play. I angled the chainsaw at about 45 degrees and lifted it slightly. This was to prevent cutting through the beams, and losing our support. I then proceed to make a second horizontal incision meeting up at the bottom of the first vertical cut. The last cut is a vertical incision, close to us, and would open up the ventilation hole. We needed to adjust our position so that we were not directly within the gases and heat. We stepped back about 2 feet. I then began to make the incision, and could feel the radiant heat releasing. My gloves were warming up fast. Vision was decreasing slightly as I was finishing. The roof patch fell in and the gases and smoke burst out of the house, eager to escape. I turned off the chainsaw and handed it to my partner. She slowly and safely made her way back to the ladder, watching every step. I then pried my pike pole from the roof, and slowly made my way back to the ladder, where my partner was waiting, so that we can progress as a team. I took the chainsaw from her so she could access the ladder, and from there I handed it back. The chainsaw always goes down first for safety reasons. I then slowly accessed the ladder and while taking my foot back off the roof, I said to myself, “yes, I should be on this roof?”

Now that the smoke and gases are released from the house, our team downstairs can easily identify the source of the fire and put it out. Not only are they putting out the fire, they are able to see what possessions they can save and can control the amount of water destruction.


FIRE ACADEMY TRAINING - VENTILATION

For a while now I have been denying my potential and my abilities. I stopped expressing myself, my thoughts, and all that I have aquired. What I mean by this, is that my solitude is the crux of my own denial. I limited my access to learn from others, as well as to provide help to those who may have needed me. In the book Political Paralysis, Denusha Veronica Goska brings up a question that lingers with me. Why do we not honor what we can do? I think about this all the time, and it’s very true. I have the ability to connect. To pass on information or take it in. Why do I fear that? In reality I don’t fear it, I just convince myself not to do it. I put myself back in solitude because it’s easy to be on my own. But I know I am only restricting my own capabilities.

In the story above, I could not have completed that task without the help of another. It is crucial to understand that we cannot do this alone. This last semester at HSU has been an eye opener for me. A reminder that everything is relevant and the importance of having people around you, is imperative. I am done denying my own power.

1 comment: