Thursday, May 10, 2018

Believe in Hope and Persevere when all seems Impossible!

Time has flown by from the first day I set foot on HSU campus and things definitely changed from that day on. I started as a Wildlife major and after a year gone by almost, I changed major to Environmental Studies. Truthfully I was heartbroken that my dream of working with animals faded. I wanted to still take wildlife classes and choose my emphasis in the Environmental Studies major conservation and ecology. I remembered the bright light filled room of ENST 120 class and feeling overwhelmed not knowing exactly what this major could teach me. Throughout the years my athletic participation on both cross country & track and field team has been a part of my up and downs at HSU. I am hard on myself more than I would ever like to admit and it causes stress all around in my life. I want to succeed in all areas of my life and ENST gave me a view of how to balance the importance of self-happiness. From the first ENST class to this last Capstone class every single ENST class put a lot of weight and value on self-care. I never grappled the full effect of being thrown all this negative material about the reality of our earth, the system we live in, and much more. I admit I put up a wall to block my anxiety, fear or hurt. I tend to put on a solid unphased front when around people and truthfully ENST has helped me know its ok to feel and cry in front of your classmates. Remembering my presentation in ENST 395 talking about a paper I wrote and the passion as well as personal information that I shared with the class because I allowed myself to trust. Trust that my fellow classmates and friends be understanding and there for me if I did cry or unable to complete the presentation. When I am passionate about what I talk about my feelings heighten and my walls fall.

The capstone class this semester been an amazing experience in so many ways. Getting to know so many locals, and be apart of adult meetings and having my opinions heard in board meetings was gratifying. I felt more empowered through the semester and I felt I was making a real difference in my life when working at my learning service project location. I did an internship with Trinidad Coastal Land Trust and the office was located in Trinidad, CA. I was very fortunate to have received the position and Overall it changed me for the better. I am more confident now speaking to a higher authority and other adults who have more experience than myself. I learned to navigate excel even more than before plus know the importance of connections with other businesses, etc. Truthfully this semester I was in conflict with my parents and coaches more than ever in my life. I was given a choice and the answer I would give either be angering the coaches or my parents. I choose to finally choose for myself and my own goals. I give credit to my friends, and this class teaching me the importance of having my own ideas, mindset, and be determined to reach a goal many maybe doubting you on. Ending this semester is bittersweet because so many are leaving and there is so much yet to finish up also mend broken connections. I thank ENST for giving me the strength, wisdom to go forward with my life goals. This world cannot be fixed overnight but I am determined to be a part of keeping it healthy and thriving with wildlife. I know my thoughts and doubts of, humanity as a whole can/cannot save our earth but if we can really make a difference as an individual in this world believes in hope.

1 comment:

  1. tatiana,
    thank you for writing this. I am gratified that you felt trusting and supported by your classmates. Vulnerability is a gift, not a weakness. I'm so impressed by this post and you thinking through how to pursue your own needs. That's no small feat.

    ReplyDelete