Friday, February 2, 2018

Optimism and self-care

On Tuesday we were asked: Why is it that you feel pressure to be optimistic?
Before I attempt to answer that question, I must admit that pessimism is typically 
my modus operandi. While pessimism has always been a part of me, constantly 
learning about oppressive/exploitative ideologies and institutions as well as the 
extensive amount of pain they have inflicted throughout communities near and far 
has made optimism feel even further out of my reach. But after taking some time to 
reflect upon this part of who I am, I have decided that my pessimistic outlook hasn’t 
always caused me trouble. In fact, often times my pessimism actually motivates me 
to put forth my best effort. In other words, when I expect the worst, I feel compelled 
to counteract that outcome and the only way I have found to do that is by trying 
really hard. And in the end, when good results do occur, they are a welcomed and 
pleasant surprise. In this way, I have found that pessimism can be a “powerful” tool.


However, the negativity of this pessimistic process is stress inducing and therefore 
a heavy burden to carry on a daily basis. Over the past few years, elevated stress 
levels have had a negative effect on my body and personal life. If pessimism is stress 
inducing, then not participating (or at least reducing the amount I participate) in it is one 
way for me to manage my stress and improve my health. So ultimately, the pressure 
that I feel to be optimistic emerges from within. In my eyes, optimism is a form of 
self-care. If I am being optimistic, then I am doing my mind and my body a favor.


But it doesn't have to be explicitly one outlook or the other, my new goal is to find some 
kind of balance between the two. I admire the balance of Paul Hawkins' perspective on 
optimism, pessimism, and the future:
“When asked if I am pessimistic or optimistic about the future, my answer is always the same: If you look at the science about what is happening on earth and aren’t pessimistic, you don’t understand the data. But if you meet the people who are working to restore this earth and the lives of the poor and you aren’t optimistic, you haven’t got a pulse” (p. 55).
If there is one thing that inspires me in light of all the injustices that poison our world, it 
is the certainly the people Hawkins is describing. And luckily for me, I have the honor of 
taking on my capstone experience with a large group individuals who are doing that 
inspiring work (and SO much more).

Speaking of my capstone experience, I will be participating in a service learning project 
with the Red Cross. The main task I have committed to so far is mapping some important 
details necessary for providing services when extreme geophysical events (commonly 
referred to as “natural disasters”) occur. As far as the impact I am hoping to make, I am 
happy to know that the these maps will be used by the Red Cross to enhance their 
services for such events that may affect my community in the future. I also intend to 
explore other avenues for further impacts throughout the semester, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment