Thursday, February 1, 2018

Make a Difference with Service Learning at Sunnybrae Middle School

It was mind-boggling to me throughout my teenage years that many people weren’t doing more to protect the fate of the planet. At the time, it was a priority to me. I was so sure that I would become a successful marine biologist who would discover a way to protect the species of the ocean from plastic pollution and ocean acidification. Or maybe, I would become a marine mammal veterinarian and go to Taiji, Japan, where dolphins were being slaughtered in the thousands for their meat. I had a plan to go to the shores of the dying dolphins, and save them all- what a naive mindset. I realized in community college that math was absolutely not my strong suit and a  year into college, I changed my major twice. I racked my brain over and over again, questioning how I could make a difference if I didn’t major in something that involved heavy math and science classes. A roommate of mine at the time was majoring in Environmental Studies in Orange County and after she told me about it, I knew that degree was ideal for me as well.

I was ecstatic to know what major to go into, but I still questioned what type of career I could succeed in with the skills I was adept at. Throughout my years in community colleges, I did volunteering and two internships that both involved educating children about the environment, and I loved it. Although I was making money waitressing, all I wanted to do was go work at my internships that hardly paid. There was no greater feeling at the time than to see children that were excited to learn about marine life. My favorite thing to do was take groups of children down to the tide pools and send them of scavenger hunts to discover animals they were never aware existed. At some point along my journey in college, I came to the conclusion that I could not see myself doing anything else other than educating children.
In the Chapter of Paul Hawkin’s piece, “You are Brilliant and the Earth is Hiring” the author states, “Civilization needs a new operating system, you are the programmers, and we need it within a few decades.” The more I contemplated working with children as a career path, I continued to question if I would be making the most change I possibly could in my lifetime with that decision. With more experience in the field of environmental topics, I realized that the fate of the world lies with humans, and if I can influence even one child to be a steward of the earth, then I have made a positive difference in the fate of the world. The next generation must be better than us at bringing about smarter, more efficient ways of manufacturing and consuming. Just as my generation has made conservation and sustainability more  of a concern than the last, I believe that with each new generation, the earth will begin to regenerate and repair.
There is something so fulfilling and enjoyable to hang out with kids, and hope that I send positive energy and enlightened thoughts their direction. There is so much hope and wonder radiating off of children, and I cannot help but wonder what their futures hold, and how exactly I can take part in shaping their minds. I am doing my service learning at Sunnybrae Middle School in Arcata, California in the after school program. I have been there two days now, and I already feel more fulfilled than I could have imagined. I was nervous about the age group of middle schoolers because I have heard from multiple teachers that the age group is more difficult to handle than any other. I was nervous at first, but I know just after those couple of days that I disagree. I think that middle school is a confusing time, but the kids are smart enough to grasp concepts that elementary schoolers cannot yet, and it is easier to influence this age group than high schoolers. I realized how influential someone in my position can be to a child that age when a little girl asked me just yesterday, “Do I have to go to college? Is required?” and I knew that this was such a crucial and teachable moment, and I took advantage of that. She seemed excited for college by the time I was through talking.
I am planning on arranging many different activities with the kids, ranging from water quality testing in the creek behind the school to musical activities. I am minoring in music and I cannot wait to bring my guitar and teach groups of kids some songs and get them singing about the environment and social justice. I feel as though this is the last step I needed to take in order to get my foot in the door with the school district, and I am so so excited to see where it leads after capstone.

1 comment:

  1. this is so exciting-- to watch you tap into the magical combination of your passions, and to see you write about it!

    ReplyDelete