Friday, February 2, 2018

Life is an Adventure

One of the latest readings from the class was a chapter in the book "The Impossible Will Take a Little While" (Loeb, 78). Howard Zinn start the chapter by saying "In this awful world where the efforts of caring people often pale in comparison to what is don't by those who have power, how do I manage to stay involved and seemingly happy?" For the beginning, this resided with me quite a bite because I was as many of you reading this might not know I served in the Military for about four years. Within those four years I dealt with plenty of individuals who had power over me because of their Rank and Status in the Army.  A sufficient amount times those who had power over me would use that power to control, try to control me and the ones around me. I’ve seen those with good hearts change in evil ways. I had to choose my battles with them but fought them every step of the way. I was told I would lose my rank plenty of times but I always stood my grounds and always fought for what was right. I never let them nor the Military structure intimidate me nor change the person I was. Near the end of my Military career I was told that there was nothing out in the civilian world, but I was optimistic of the uncertainty, which is the question that Zinn opposes. I knew my there were better opportunities out there and I have found them here at Humboldt State University in the Environmental studies program.   


Looking back on my life I guess I have always been optimistic of the uncertainty and I have not an Idea as to what is going to happen with my service learning project. Today I had just meet with Laura Julian from the Redwood National Park services but realized this isn’t my calling either. So now I’m leaning more into the Redwood EdVentures quest program and do some work there. When talking to the program coordinator I asked her if the quest incorporated ways to be more sustainable, she said no. So, I guess there a start and as I said before, I’m not too sure what is going to happen but I know one things is that I’ll take, learn, change, and crate change within myself, and to look forward to the next adventure that's lies ahead at the same time educating on the subjects that aren’t taught in the everyday life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment