Friday, February 2, 2018

Annnnnd I'm awake...



The other day, Professor Sarah Ray asked a question, “Should we view the outcome of our impacts, within our lifetime?”  The timing of her question was quintessential to a quote I had just read, by Wes Jackson.  He states, “If your life’s work can be accomplished in your lifetime, you’re not thinking big enough.”  The nature of this ideology resonates a multitude of reflections with me.  It increases my ambition to move forward, without the concern of needing to know my guiding impacts.  This does not indicate that I won’t pursue a purpose or conceive goals; it simply eliminates the repetitious thought of why are we here.  In other words, I do not feel lost.  To eliminate that stress, allows me to move forward with tranquility, while conducting unforeseen impacts.

Life is a marathon, but I live it like a never ending decathlon.  I formulate my next projects or tasks like events.  Some may consider it a chapter.  This is prioritized upon a time frame and my own aptitude to learn.  For example, I set forth an event to go to HSU, and this would last for two years.  I do not care for the trophy degree or credentials; that is just extra.  I care for what happens during the event that defines the majestic growth.  This is the importance to the overall marathon.  This is what excites me for the next stage in my life.  Once the event is over, I’m already rejuvenated for the next one.  All these events are interdisciplinary grounded, which indicates that no matter what, purposeful impacts will naturally present themselves.  I just don’t need to know exactly what they are, for the time being.  As long as I continue to learn, share, and continue my obligations and duties for Mother Earth, I know I am on the right path. 

Although this strategy does not work for everyone, it works for me.  And it’s brilliant.  I know this, because Paul Hawkins told me so in his book, You Are Brilliant and the Earth Is Hiring.  His words give me hope and reaffirms what’s truly important.  On page 57 of his book he quotes, “We are the only species on the planet without full employment.”  I think about the term full employment and apply it to the natural work ethic of insects, plants, and animals.  This term is nonexistent to other species.  Work is survival and life, from which functions as a unified system.  Humans have combined work ethic with economic growth, which has segregated human work ethic from survival and life.  It may be another form of survival, but it segregates us from nature and that unified system.  Capitalism has reformed a structure of living that takes away an ideology of obligations and duties for life on Earth.  All humans should be working together as a whole for the betterment of our existence.  Although we are not truly separate from the natural world, we have formed divides 
amongst ourselves.  We should learn from our fellow species.  Hawkins reminds me to seek my interconnectedness with Earths energies and to acknowledge my overall behavior and actions throughout my days.  This helps me retain clarity, throughout my interactions amongst communities and bio-communities, and allows me to create healthier decisions throughout the duration of my marathon.  I have taken off my blinders, I am awake now.
         
                                    
WE NEVER SLEEP!
(My attempt at humor)

One of my recent decisions (new event), is volunteering for Fortuna Wildland Firefighters.  This venture is for the ENST capstone project, service learning.  I chose this route for several reasons.  At some point of time in my life, I will work for the National Park Service as a ranger.  There are different types of directions within the service, from which Fire and Science is one of the categories I am interested in.  To become a wild land firefighter, I would need two more years of school.  Or, I could engage into volunteer work, take the one month academy, sign up for a one week fire and science course, take the EMT course, and begin to direct myself towards that position.  So that is what I am doing.  I am volunteering, taking the academy in March, and I signed up for the one week class over spring break.  After I graduate in May, I will be taking my EMT course in San Diego.  I also chose Fortuna’s fire department for a specific reason.  Fortuna is having problems with people who don’t have a home.  These people are finding locations to post up, located by the Eel River.  Two things are happening from this.  There is destruction within the habitat around the river, leading to a compilation of issues, and there are people without homes that need a place to stay.  The fire department has the social responsibility to acknowledge this issue, and I would like to understand the procedure behind it.  There are several other environmental and social justice issues within the small town of Fortuna, and in order for me to truly perceive the issues, I am jumping in the fire.

I am excited for this short term event, because it will allow me to observe a form of life through a lens I’ve never peered through.  The information I am about to receive will be immense, gratifying, and purposeful.  How will it apply to my overall impact, is a thought that I don’t have to worry about.  All I need to do is apply my assets to the best of my ability, and keep moving forward.

1 comment:

  1. i'm really starting to hear your writing voice, it's so great.

    ReplyDelete