Saturday, February 24, 2018

Diversity is Me

After reading “The Affective Arc of Undergraduate Environmental Studies Curricula” by Sarah Jaquette Ray a lot of the concerns I had with the major were addressed. At some point during the semester, I started to question whether or not I made the right choice pursuing an undergraduate degree in Environmental Studies (ES). Reading the article reminded me that it is common for ES students to “become despairing and even apathetic” (p. 3). However, I am grateful to have broadened my horizons to a deeper understanding of identity politics, structural injustice, and power and privilege. At Mad River Community Hospital, it is hard for me to find the weak spots, as mentioned in “Training Transformative Leaders Through Critical Service-Learning,” to be critical about the organization because as I see it everyone needs healthcare no matter the positionality. Perhaps it takes time to realize those sort of things, and possibly even takes being part of the staff in meetings. At such a small hospital everyone knows everyone. I would like to say there is not a lot of diversity and think maybe I’m the diversity, a thick, long, black-haired Filipina.

The tool ENST has given me is something I can carry with me throughout the course of my life. Sometimes I question myself whether or not it is better to have “ignorant bliss” or carry around with me “depressing knowledge” (p.8). This is why I think it is important to develop a tough skin. To be wise as serpents, and innocent as doves (Matthew 10:16). I think the discomfort is something to embrace and part of being wise is knowing that happiness comes and goes. I would not want to change a thing about the major discipline. Not even allowing students to create their own syllabus. I come to school and pay for classes seeking direction. I agree there is a huge leap of trust in student to faculty and a whole lot of integrity on the part of the faculty, but I think it is a good system. These ES classes allow room for creativity but also follows some kind of structure, which I think is great.

1 comment:

  1. sarah- i love reading your writing, always, since I don't always have the chance to hear what you think through your words. as i always say, it makes total sense that ENST would lead you or anyboyd else for that matter to healthcare. I am happy to hear you think through those connections for yourself here. and regarding your last paragraph-thank you for embracing your experience so wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete