Saturday, March 10, 2018

Virtue

“Political Paralysis” by Danusha Veronica Goska struck my interest most. Mostly because Goska mentions in her brief work many things I can relate to. She’s a Catholic and after having done some background research on the writer she is no longer a leftist. She wrote an interesting article on it here: Ten Reasons Why I Am No Longer a Leftist. She mentioned how she shifted from the left to the right because of how much the left actively hate the right, along with anything that has to do with Judeo-Christianity. I agree with her. Before reading her work, she mentioned Psalm 139 and I had to mentally prepare myself for what may come next. Instead, I was surprised that she said nothing negative about Christianity. This was the very first piece I read in the major that was not heretical nor bashing the Christian faith. I thought to myself, “What a nice change.”

Goska worked as a nurse’s aide and was considered working-class, yet she loved it because she “physically and emotionally touched people every day.” This is why I want to get into Nursing. It is true that one does not have to be on TV to be virtuous, rather I think a person is much more virtuous when they are humble enough to not feel the need to be on TV or noticed by others for acts of kindness. Too often people want to be seen by others of the good works they have done. I was impressed that she used Saint Mother Teresa and Saint John of the Cross, two saints who lived their life humbly and who radically lived out their faith in Christ. Saint Mother Teresa, who made the vow to live a life of poverty, chastity, and obedience, felt a strong call to serve the poor in India. Her life was so consumed by the love of God that she had to share that love, yet did not care much to be seen by others. Also, Saint John of the Cross, a Discalced Carmelite radically lived out his faith to the point of turning away comfort and luxury to show mercy to his peers, yet his greatest work came from being locked away. Social media today plays an important role in always wanting to be recognized by our peers. Sometimes its okay to not to let the world know of every detail of one's life.
Last I want to end with a quote by Pope Benedict XVI who said, “You were not made for comfort. You were made for greatness.” Too often the path that offers most comfort is chosen, yet people turn their heads away from the path of greatest Love. Authentic hearts create lasting changes and authentic hearts are humble hearts.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Goska essay too. Where do you see Christian-bashing in ENST? That's alarming to me and I'd like to fix it.

    ReplyDelete