Friday, March 9, 2018

Time to Activate


“DON’T DO NOTHING BECAUSE YOU CANNOT DO EVERYTHING. DO SOMETHING. ANYTHING.” –Colleen Patrick-Goodreau

The past week I have gone through a 2nd wave of obsessive inspiration from Colleen Patrick-Goodreau. Otherwise known as the “Joyful Vegan”, Colleen is an author, speaker, animal advocate, podcaster, etc. etc. etc. I discovered her podcast “Food for Thought” a few years ago after almost 10 years into my journey of a plant-based lifestyle.

I cannot talk Colleen up enough. Let’s face it veganism gets a bad rap on many fronts, which is why I never tell people I am vegan unless asked. I commend Colleen for her compassionate, concise, and open approach to talking about all things animals- not to mention, she's an absolute wondrous wordsmith.

I immediately thought of Colleen when I read Danusha Veronica Goska’s piece “Political Paralysis” in The Impossible will take a little While, specifically when Goska spoke about virtue and power wherein she said: “The problem is not that we have so little power. The problem is that we don’t use the power that we have” (Loeb p. 49). The current state of the world in regards to the political atmosphere is no doubt a paralyzing and jarring climate to be living in in 2018. However, as Goska mentions, each of us holds the power and virtue to recognize the little actions we can make in our day-to-day life in which collectively can move mountains. Colleen has spoken similarly about the collective and individual compassion each of us holds:

“THE PROBLEMS WE HAVE IN THIS WORLD ARE NOT BECAUSE WE HAVE SO MUCH COMPASSION WE DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT. THE PROBLEMS WE HAVE ARE BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE NOT LIVING ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN VALUES OF KINDNESS AND COMPASSION.”

Here is an inspiring video of Colleen speaking her truth and sharing her thoughts on getting involved politically as active citizens. She highlights animal friendly legislation, but this no doubt qualifies for any issue you are interested in!:

Some final words as I mull over this topic of power, hope and activism...snowed in, sprawled out by the fire, cat by my side, a book, and warm cup o' Joe...here it goes....
Repeat these words: "Yes i can." Cheesy, I know, but you know what as Victoria Stafford so eloquently and simply said in an excerpt of The Impossible will take a little While, "There is no time for quietism" (Loeb p. 184). YES! Repeat it until you believe it. "Yes I can." Repeat it until it's true. 
It feels small, insignificant, almost like a whisper taking on the world alone, taking on YOUR world alone. Except, here's the thing: you're not. Not alone, not small, not insignificant, and without a doubt, you are not a whisper. I can't tell you how significant, how giant, how unbelievably imposing you, me, we all are. 
Everything that happens, every choice, every action - has an effect. so. much. bigger than ourselves, bigger than a lifetime. Think big. Act big. Do all the things you think you can't. Because you can. 
But in all this bigness and individualism, in a sea of me-myself-and I, don't forget: you're not alone. Say it to yourself daily: "I am not alone." You- we- have the most incredible opportunity in this life to be a huge force within a rising tide. But we have to choose it- so actively take part, use your bigness to make a difference in the world.

1 comment: