Friday, April 29, 2016

Science and Humanities for a Better Understanding

       Often times as a Humanities major I hear that what I am studying isn't important. My ideas are dismissed when I speak to science majors as if what I have to say doesn't contribute to the conversation. From the conversations I have with them I know that they are not getting a well-rounded education because they only see the environment in one way. They might advocate for the animals without considering people or any of the other intersections associated with it. There is shift that is occurring when it comes to the way we look and think about environmental issues. We are no longer just thinking about animals as a singular from. People, landscapes, cultures, and bioregions are being taken into account. Interdisciplinary approaches to environmental issues are necessary and crucial for solutions. It allows multiple groups of people to come together to discuss what they know and put pieces together that link histories together. Although, the Environmental Studies program at HSU is fairly knew it is growing as more people acknowledge that environmental problems begin understanding social injustices.
      " Our belief that science alone could deliver us from the planetary quagmire is long dead." People who continue to believe that science is the answer to all the problems are not paying attention to the news. Environmental problems need to be dissected and pulled apart. For example, companies that are switching to become more eco-friendly. If I still had the mentality of a high schooler, I would see that as a great alternative to reducing greenhouse gasses. However, now I know that I am more critical of those types of scenarios. It has to do with green washing, economics, buzzwords, and so much more than what a person is fed. Social Sciences and Science majors need to unite and work together to understand the disparities that are systematically used to separate disciplines.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment