Friday, April 29, 2016

On Carol J. Adams


I attended Carol J. Adams lecture on Tuesday, excited to listen about the Sexual Politics of Meat as I had recently written a paper on her Feminist Trafficking of Animals in Environmental Ethics. I really loved her slideshow, as some of her concepts were harder to connect and grasp, and with the help of the slideshow these concepts were made relatable. I have always been a meat-eater and her presentation made me question my own diet more than anything else I have heard of. I often think about my own personal habits as an Environmental Studies major, asking myself if I really “walk the walk.” I agree with Adam’s argument, but I continue to eat meat. This is similar to how I understand how terrible consumerism is, but I love thrift shopping. So how do I reconcile my love for an al pastor burrito once knowing that what I am doing is antithetical to ecofeminism? (I have a feminist tattoo). I suppose that the suffering of others and the cost of getting the ingredients for that burrito to me is greater than the joy I receive when eating the burrito. But my knowledge of how my burrito is harmful and antithetical is not predicting my behavior. I think that it is important to be critical on these aspects, but to not get bogged down on each individual action because that leads to nowhere. Maybe one day I will stop eating meat but I should never stop being critical of the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment