Friday, April 29, 2016

Carol Adams

    I enjoyed being able to attend this event. and listen to a whole new radical perspective. I do confess, that I do eat meat. It is an ongoing moral dilemma and conversation I have with myself when I am about to eat. I remember being offered duck by one of my roommates a two years ago. I declined and made an unpleasant face that she quickly responded to. She asked me, "You eat chicken... right?" I responded, "Yes." I forgot what I said afterwards but she told me "You shouldn't be eating things you can't kill." Those words will forever linger in my head. I am rather squeamish when it comes to killing anything, even a spider. Carol's lecture reinforced this in my head. Her lecture made me more keen in observing the different techniques restaurants use in order to get men to eat meat. Womyn are always sexualized and even when it comes to food. I think the most ridiculous example I've seen of this that she didn't show was a Carl's Jr. commercial. It was Ms. Turkey wearing a tiny swimsuit with turkeys on it while eating a turkey burger. I always think how much these womyn get paid to eat these ginormous burgers that are half of their face. Do they spit them out after they bite into it? Also notice in the commercial how this burger is part of the Men's Health Magazine. She used the term "absent referent"  when a part of either a womyn or animal is displaced and swapped for either animal or human. The absent referent in many of the images she showed was a womyn's face for a pigs. Most of the images she showed pigs which I found disturbing and enlightened all at once. I still can't fathom the fact that fast food joints out so much effort in making meat look manly and appealing by using the opposite sex. I am slowly switching and acknowledging all the associations that come with eating meat.



No comments:

Post a Comment