Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Manifesto, by Miles Kinman, class of 2020


There were many principles of Emergent Strategy that really resonated with me but the most compelling was the author’s emphasis on decentralized action. This is something that I’ve always thought was the best way to enact change because it would mean more people in society now have a vested interest in making any given change take place. One thing that my friends often tell me is that I’m a friendly and kind person and I also believe this to be my greatest asset in fighting climate change. I’ll also say this observation is definitely true most days but most certainly not all and I can be the polar opposite on some days. 

However, I think those qualities my friends described are the best way I can go through the world trying to bring about the change I’d like to see. One of my most alluring daydreams is thinking about spending time on a homestead I’ll buy in the Northwest, surrounded by friends and family, and we’re all sharing with one another our knowledge and teaching each other how to grow with the world instead of consuming the world to grow. The most enticing and beautiful thing about this too is that no one person is more important than the other. Sure, some people have the resources and knowledge and others may not, but what good would that knowledge be if it weren’t shared to help better the world? Furthermore, while it is my hope that I can get a job working directly with nature, life doesn’t always work out the way you want. As long as I end up on that homestead surrounded by good friends and family, I will be content. I will be content because I know that even then I can still be a catalyst for change. Not everyone can get a job working in restoration, community organizing, or other socio-environmental causes; nor should everyone get involved in the same careers because our diversity helps makes us beautiful. T

hus I’m not going to beat myself up if I don’t end up where I envisioned in my career because sometimes that’s how Life happens but one of the core things environmental studies has taught me is that there are a myriad of other ways I can affect change than just through the workplace. Indeed, the teachings here have led me to believe that this idea is necessary for change. Change will never come if the ideas that manifest movements for change are left at the office and not incorporated into everyday life. Thinking about fighting climate change, living a healthy life with the earth, reminds me of my recent efforts to have a healthier body. To simply be mindful of my health at the gym only, which would be the office in this metaphor, would result in me most likely not caring about what I ate or did outside the gym and result little to no net health benefits. 

I like to imagine that trying to care for the earth as a society is like trying to care for the body as an individual. We have to think about all of our actions on a daily basis and how they impact the planet and our bodies. Yes it’s okay to have some beer and eat some ice cream but doing it every day will kill you. By focusing my efforts on trying to foster harmony with nature in my everyday life and experiences I’m doing my part to help build that collective, decentralized momentum to bring about a better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment