Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Manifesto, by Michael Raigoza, class of 2020

My goal in life is to be happy. It has always been and always will be. I sometimes fail to reach that goal in certain moments,hours, or days but I just have to remember that life is short and we only get one. Can’t be wasting time on the sad things in life. So I will start my manifesto with: Be Happy.

The next part of my manifesto is one of the principles that I choose to incorporate in my life. I think of life as a balancing act, and that means there is give and take. If I am going to be happy in the world then I want to share that happiness with others, and the way I know how to do that is kindness. So Be Kind is next. 

These are pretty cliche but they are simple and I like simple.Also since we are writing a manifesto, I wouldn’t be true to myself if I didn’t put these in here. So often I think if only we could work at being happy and being kind the world would be a better place. Unfortunately it is not how the world works and I know that, but I will lead by example and maybe one day enough people will act that way. 

The vision or goal I have for my life, and maybe inspire some other social change, is to live in an innovative system that highlights nature and renewable energy. I would like to live in a space where I can grow my own food using permaculture and power my house with solar panels or other renewable technology. I feel that if I am going to preach knowing where my food comes and anti-fossil fuel use, then I need to also be acting that way. Don’t talk about it, be about it. The end vision for me sees me sitting on my rocking chair in my old age, with a home that operates as a closed system immersed in some trees. So I need to Be In Touch with my Food and Be Resourceful/Renewable.

My immediate next goal is to do something with renewable energy on a larger scale that fights the fossil fuel industry, or promotes change within our energy system. I want to help create community utility companies/collectives that use renewable energy so we can limit our greenhouse gas emissions. We have little time and a daunting opponent which makes it easy to throw in the towel. I don’t want to give in and just accept that this is the way things are, so I will not give up, I will fight, and I will have hope. 

The last part of my manifesto I stole from Emergent Strategy, but it really hit home for me and I would like to remind myself of this throughout my life. What we pay attention to grows. It is simple yet it calms me and I feel like it gives me power back. I become motivated when I read this because it is a reassertion to myself that no matter how small the act, it does create some change. What I devote myself to can make a difference. I will pay attention to what I want to grow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment