Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Manifesto, by Joe Mallory, class of 2020

In the face of our daunting global problems such as climate change, extinction, human inequality, and altogether widespread complacency, I find that the root of our problem is a  somewhat a sense of cultural sickness, that is, one in which we are complacent and taught to fully believe in a system that is inherently flawed and failing us. Often I am daunted by the weight of our world. It affects me everyday, and makes me wonder, What is it that I can do?

For that I answer, I want to use the power of art and community to spread messages that go against the grain, that is, that spread a ecocentric and egalitarian perspective of cultural and environmental awareness. 

Yet before I can help others, I must make sure I help to better myself. I want to make sure I always have adequate time to focus on always bettering myself, so that I can be the best me, and then can fulfill what I aspire to do. 

In caring for myself, I must remember:
  • To be the change you want to see in the world, as change begins within
    • Question and reduce the things that contradict your own inner good
    • Make valuable changes where possible, and know that that inspires others to do the same
  • To be open minded, always see things from multiple perspectives
    • Get out of your comfort zone, try new things
    • Be free for change to happen
    • Don’t judge people, we are all different versions of the same oneness
    • Don’t be too hard on yourself either, be understanding but also dynamic
  • To focus more on fewer things to make for the best results (Don’t spread yourself thin)
    • Don't force the flow of things and get upset when things don’t work out, but rather be in the flow and try to be a guiding force for the rest of it (or, Don’t fixate on being particular, it only limits you, rather let things flow and be dynamic with them)

Outside of working on myself, it is easy to get overwhelmed by the scale of our problems. Many of which we seem unable to change. But rather than that, I should focus on change locally, and know that that is a piece of the puzzle. Small changes pave the way, creating waves for new ways.
In thinking locally, remember:
  • To strive to build connections
  • New connections happen unexpectedly, being open to them is crucial
  • Inspiration spreads quickly, you can take it in and help spread it too
  • To find new opportunities, as these equal new ways to change the flow of things
  • To pay a role in connecting other people together (Collaboration)
  • Whatever you do, you are a piece of the puzzle and no matter how big or small you can find a way to bring the picture together

Finally, I want to make art and music, and to find a way that those things can be used to fit in to the puzzle of creating societal change. 

In creating Art, remember
  • We need to create works of art that challenge the way our society views environment and culture
  • Supporting oneself through art and not being dependent on a remedial job is a form of societal rebellion
  • Create work that can give back to certain groups in the form of fundraising or donations
  • Create work that doesn’t contradict itself in terms of sustainability - strive to upcycle and use more natural materials
  • Always work to spread inspiration, pull other artists up with you
  • Make connections, collaborate, as you never know where they will lead you
  • Never stop creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment