Friday, February 16, 2018

How I feel about, "The END OF NATURE"

       When I think of the idea of, "coming to age", I think of loss of innocence. Some could view it as a loss of hope, but others might even view it as a new beginning after a loss of something important to one's self. Coming of age could be symbolic of maturing or discovering a new sense of self during tragic times such as the idea of, "the end of nature." 
     When I think of the title of the book in its entirety, "Coming of Age at the End of Nature" my mind, in truth, goes directly to a dark place and ruthless place. My initial thoughts translate to, "I am the last generation in which nature will be as humanity in the day and age have known it to be." However, if I deconstruct that mindset and reanalyze that narrative, one could conclude that, "nature" has been ever-changing since the dawn of time and therefore, nature will always exist in one form or another. 
     Brown talks about ecology and states that is, "not a place- it is not a thing we have control over; ecology is the space between things including us" (Brown). This quote reminds me of the notion that nature would not exist without humans. I agree that as humans, we have created our own ideas as to what nature entails. Without humans, nature would still exist; However, one would have to define what that existence would involve. 
     Personally, I would like to believe that the ideal version of a healthy, natural world, is one where the most people, ecosystems and species of all kind thrive at their fullest potential. Therefore, no matter how much I deconstruct the idea of "human-defined nature", I am still cynical because, "Coming of Age at the End of Nature" still translates in my mind to, "My millennial generation is the last generation in which humans, ecosystems and species of all kinds have thrived at all, and future involves the suffering of more." However, that is simply the definition of nature that I have constructed in my own brain through my own narratives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment