Friday, February 16, 2018

Growing Pains

There is a commonality in the titles of the books we just read. Each juxtaposes a progressive narrative with a declensionist one. Coming of age but at the end of nature, and Building a thriving resistance but in toxic times. In their similarities, I find a truth. Perhaps our generation is coming of age, figuring out what it is meant to do, as it takes the main stage. The current generation takes the helm at an interesting time when we are more aware of anthropocentric consequences than any other generation. In other words, we are about to inherit a planet that is deemed to be in "toxic time" / "at the end of nature".  I find it problematic to call our current affairs the end of nature. I do not believe nature is ending nor do I believe it can end fully, but the definition of nature can be challenged and changed. It has been many times, as each generation has had to face their own end of nature, or end of the world, or just life as they knew it.
The reality is, each generation has had to face drastic change whether it be for better or worse and now it is our turn. The difference here, though, is that we are facing the state of the world as a product of all past actions. Thusly, I would go as far as to call it humanity's coming of age. The upcoming generation claims ultimate responsibility for the accumulation of poor decisions. In the wise words of Kurt Vonnegut "so it goes". I do not mean to come off complacent I simply mean this is how it is. So as the current generation rises up they face a type of Indra's Net of issues. Each issue is connected and reflects any changes made in another. I find myself pondering how to take action to set off a positive chain of events and avoid a negative one. Joyful militancy offers words of wisdom and hope. I summarize it with a succinct quote from Rebecca Solnit, "for joy to flourish, it needs sharp edges".

It is no secret the world is facing incredible upheaval, but when the growing pains of this generation subside I have hope that good will come of the struggle.

1 comment:

  1. i'm so glad you found this parallel between titles! exactly! there's something about the titles that irks me, for this very reason-- that they seduce people to buy because of their declensionist tone.

    ReplyDelete