Tuesday, May 16, 2017

My Manifesto, by Andrew Jacobsen

What have you done in your life or within others’ lives in order to be considered a leader? Well, I have done a decent amount in my opinion, and I can guarantee you that the people that consider me to be a leader would tell you that if not theyd tell you that I have done everything in my power to be a huge part of their life/upbringing. I have gotten involved with the kid’s families that I work with out in Northern Humboldt, specifically Orick, California. The kids that I work with in Orick are a huge reason for why I am the way that I am (that is being a very passionate leader towards ALL my kids). I go over to their houses after I am with them on Fridays, in which the parents sometimes make us late lunch/dinner. So you tell me, have I a made a spectacular impression on these kids or not? I think I completely have. As far as being a leader in my peers’ lives, I am the leader among my friends back home. I took the initiative toward being the first, and one/only of my close friends to leave for college, in which I will be the first to graduate from college out of my friends. So yes, I stick out among my friends, but how does that translate into being a leader and role model for them? Well, I am the person that ALL of my friends come to for life, personal, and academic/career advice. Not only do I steer them in the right direction, but I give them the positivity and also the constructive criticism that they need to hear. So, what about being a leader within your own family? I am a leader within my own family because I am a complete role model to my little sister, Rebecca. Rebecca is graduating from UC Santa Cruz in June with her BA in Environmental Studies/Political Science, in which I cannot be more proud to call her my sister. The amount of pain, struggle, and negativity that I had to endure in my younger years, and unfortunately am still enduring, is a big reason for why Rebecca looks up to me. She sees that I have done everything in my power to make it in this world, and I won’t stop at anything to make the world a better place for my peers/family. Being the positive, uplifting, barrier breaker, and fighter in life that I have developed into, is why I am a complete leader among my peers, my family, and to the children that I work with throughout Humboldt County.
What power do you already have? I have a TON of power. I am a complete social agent because I am a ground breaker. I come on the scene and I get to work. I wake up and I say, lets get to it. I have the COMPLETE power to change the lives around me for the knowledge, strength, and positivity that I share amongst the people around me, regardless of your skin color, your sexual preference, your gender, everything. Not only do I have the power to do what I want in life, but I have the power to become someone that this world needs. This county, this state, this country, and this world needs more people that are going to give EVERYTHING they have in order to make a difference in their community and in the lives of our YOUTH. The youth are the future. If you have the power to have youth on your side and listening to you/copying your positive habits, then you’re on the way to changing communities one at a time. Also, I have the power to inspire, tp change the views and or opinions of others through decisive action, through mentoring, and through leadership skills that I have acquired here at Humboldt State.

What are my spheres of influence? My influences are also my idols in life. My Department Chair, Sarah Ray, my mother, my father RIP, and my fellow peers as well. Also, my field supervisor over at Dep of Fish and Wildlife is a huge inspiration to me as well. He not only has a BS in Environmental Science, but he works for an agency that brings change to the environment, and is directly involved in Environmental Management/Protection as well. My biggest inspiration is my father, in which he has influenced me the most. Not only did my father go to the Vietnam War at the age of 19, he came back and lived a life that was worth every second. He inspires me to be the man I am today. The leader, the positive guy throughout any (most) situations, the person who ANYBODY can come to for advice upon any subject within life, the person who mentors kids throughout the county, the person who has made something great out of nothing, and the person who isn’t going to let this last weekend determine the rest of his life and/or future, is completely influenced by his father. Being a social agent of change means that you move through society and influence others do BE THE BEST THEY CAN BE and to inspire them to become social agents of change as well. Well, that is exactly me.

No comments:

Post a Comment