Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Manifesto, by Jack Davis

This is not my full manifesto and I plan to give myself more time to create this document into a framework that I will take note of through my life journey. I say this isn’t my full manifesto because I did not make enough time to write this because honestly I need more time to fully center myself to answer these questions. I have been drifting in the water as the ship full of change agents goes beyond the horizon. I have just awoken from a state of mental chaos and swimming for my comrades. I am finding my own path along the way, meeting others who have also fallen from the ship.
What does it mean to be a social change agent, for you?  
            When thinking about what it means to be a social change agent, I find that there is no straightforward answer. This idea has transformed over the course of my undergrad and at this point, I argue that social change agent is split into two general camps of thought; one camp is agency for the world and people while the other camp is based around the self. I find that in this major, or in the way I have interpreted agency, is often about assisting others through volunteering and advocacy similar to what service learning has geared us students towards. The other camp of thought that I have reached is that of being ones own agent of change within the self. For too long I have neglected to amply care about myself and do what is the best for me. To reflect on my initial perspective on environmental studies, I saw it as an escape from my personal problems because I could displace those energies and in place put them towards helping/ being present for those that sought assistance. Being an agent of change has taken a new form as this camp of thought has only increased in the past weeks of conversations with peers and classmates. In the dominant western culture, taking care of the self is not a discourse that is entirely adopted and becoming the self has slowly drifted from us as more distractions can fit the distresses that block the path to the self. Being a change agent is about recognizing the little things that make the world a better place and embrace them with open arms. A change agent takes time for the self to reflect and not let the machine run over the soul. Change agency takes up a number of forms but I believe now that I cannot help the world if I cannot confront the sludge that I have shoved off my back.
What have you done in your life already to be a “leader” or an agent of social change?  
    From my initial days in Environmental Studies I felt like an agent of change as I joined the environmental studies club to participate in the Oakland climate march. I felt driven from the moment I stepped into ENST 295 to become someone that was ready to take on the world head on and battle for justice. Even with declaring my major I felt energy to go volunteer and put myself out there to the community and world with helping, passionate hands. From volunteering for golden years at the Y.E.S. House to traveling to South Africa to help build and refurbish classrooms I have felt like an agent of change. I am privileged to have put my time and energies abroad and domestically. I have done more than I give myself credit for which is something I need to work on. I can sit here and make a list but feel that may be unnecessary.
    I have taken leadership in workshops and activities that have helped me become more confident with the work I provide. It is inspiring, for example, when working with kids how inspired they became when observing/ listening to someone older or different. In Africa I was privileged to assist in a village clean up and watched as the young kids followed me like little ducks picking up trash. No one told them to but they must have had some understanding of the importance of what we as volunteers were doing. What is important when thinking about this question is the mindful acts each person can take upon themselves to critically understand themselves as agents. I recently have been thinking about, for instance, my agency in the world because when this semester started I felt like a worthless person. Being mindful of the past and where I have been is what will help me stay clear of the dark patches that have been tripping me up recently.
How do you make sense of all our readings around agency, hope, love, in light of your degree in this moment?
The materials on agency, hope, and love have centered me back to a place I have been searching for. The Bell Hook’s piece spoke to me in so many ways that I began to crack this shell of isolation to see the bright light that is agency. When she gives her definition of love and basically moves beyond any romanticized idea of love I was brought back down to myself. I say this because as I mentioned before I have not taken the time for myself or to love myself fully. This reading helped me restructure my core values and what it means to love and care. This idea of spiritual communalism that she mentioned has helped me make sense of the larger community that exist to help make this world a better place. No victory is as immediate as Hollywood has depicted it, however by centering ourselves and embracing patience I think that a victory within us is pretty amazing. This is my perspective as I am able to do this during these times and I am aware that this is not a path that everyone can take to remove him or herself from a toxic environment that doesn’t allow such peace to flow through them. For starters I need to do this constantly so that I can join with others to help those who need warm and loving energy. Love is a power tool and by redefining love we can use it to rebuild those who have become fragmented.

            At the end of the day, I have seen the importance of caring for the self and as a change agent I shall embrace this along my path. Life is challenging, shaping me as the character I am today. I shall get through this semester and move beyond the scopes that have held me back. Love and the imagination will steer me through the dark waters I have placed myself in. Love for myself, my class, community, and planet is what will keep the pep in my step. I know I can do this because if I got through all that I have from the past I can only become stronger and capable of what my path holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment