Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Manifesto, by Kevin Fulgencio

The 2017 spring semester is already at the halfway mark and this means that for some of us, like myself, graduation is upon us. Although I will be walking across a stage and accepting that piece of paper that signifies one of my greatest accomplishments, I will be returning for one more semester in the fall. It is crazy to think that my ride on this crazy train of the Environmental Studies program is almost coming to an end, but I cannot wait to see what is in store for my future. Over the course of this program, we have critically analyzed various types of social injustice issues that are very hard to digest, which at sometimes makes myself and others in this program feel as if the weight of these existing problems is too much to handle. The readings we have read and discussed thus far this semester have definitely made me feel better about the work that I am going to be doing in the future as a social change agent. Just seeing the various different ways that individuals can use to serve as a social change agent is so inspiring that it almost propels me away from the narrative of despair.
Sometimes the negativity of real-world problems can be unbearable and tough for one to wrap his or her mind around the subject. A big thing I realized when I joined this major was that the systems in power are constantly treading over the world, leaving the most vulnerable groups of people at the most harm. I have to admit I felt betrayed and disappointed that the man sitting in office today is who it is. When I am feeling like I am not having the immediate change that I want to see for the world, I always refer back to the Maniates chapter, “Teaching for Turbulence”. He writes, “To battle this despair and to create opportunities for interdisciplinary integration of course material, ESS programs turn to applied research and hands-on problem solving”(257). This reading always reminds me why I joined the Environmental Studies program here at Humboldt State University and the solutions that this major strives to achieve. This is a main reason as to why I believe the service-learning project for this capstone class is important for students because it gives us an opportunity to go out in the real world and act as a social change agent. This major has a lot of ups and downs, but it is important to realize that we cannot let this “turbulence” deter us off of our path of social change.
The film, Occupy Love, was very inspiring to see and how there are so many different ways of acting as a social change agent for the world. It was very enlightening to see that there were so many different groups of people that came together as one group to fight for what is right for all. The power of love is astonishing to me because there is so much positivity that can result from it. The systems of power in place today are creating social inequalities that have led us to this age of crisis. “I have decided to stick to love… Hate is too great of a burden to bear”-Martin Luther King Jr. This quote always speaks to me because in my opinion, there is nothing beneficial that can come out of hatred. I feel like the power of love and unity can combat any pressuring force that affects the everyday lives of the people.  
In my personal life, I can say that me pursuing my degree within Environmental Studies and being a student is a way I can be an agent of social change. Understanding my own positionality and identity was vital in realizing I am very privileged to be able to have the opportunity to receive a college education. My parents and three sisters are huge spheres of influence for myself because their actions and experiences always remind myself that hard work and perseverance always pays off. My parents moved to California in the 1970’s from the Philippines in order to give my sisters and I an opportunity for a better life, so I kind of use that idea into convincing myself that I can have an impact with others in my work. Some individuals do not even get the opportunity to go to college due to various different environmental and social issues. For my service-learning project, I am hoping that I can serve as an agent of social change for the youth by showing them the importance of education and the places it can take you if you take advantage of it. Becoming aware of the systemic problems within the education system is a huge reason why I wanted to educate children because sometimes I feel that these problems are why students do not have the drive to finish high school or to even go to college. I am hoping that that showing the younger students the fun side of school will open their eyes and see where education can take you.

In light of everything that has happened since the recent election, all of the readings revolving around agency, hope, and love could not seem more relevant than right now. For me, I believe it is important to use themes as a way to motivate myself in taking action. I know there is always some piece of depressing news everyday with President Chump in office, but we should not feel powerless. When I feel as if some of my small actions are not doing anything beneficial for the world, I think of the “snowball effect”. Our small actions may seem like they are not having an impact as fast as we want to see, but eventually they will add up. It just takes time and I think this is one of the many problems that students face in this major. In the chapter, “Political Paralysis” Goska points out that our heroes did not shake the world overnight. “And yet when we study the biographies of our heroes, we learn that they spent years in preparation doing tiny, decent things before one historical moment propelled them to center stage” (64). There is no doubt in my mind that students in this major will soon be propelled onto that center stage, but we just have to understand that time is a factor in this process of social change.      

No comments:

Post a Comment