Friday, April 22, 2016

Reminder to Myself

I recently read an article about a local activist named Betty Chinn. Have you heard about her? No? (I highly recommend this brief write-up about the transformational work she is doing in Humboldt County - right here.) She’s an advocate for the homeless population in Eureka and spends countless hours working to help people around her. From getting up at 2:00 a.m. to help transport homeless youth to school to helping make sure others have a meal to eat throughout the day - she seems to be at it nonstop, all while trying to raise funds to continue offering services and resources.


The work she’s involved in reminded me so much about Mark Manson’s article You probably know to ask yourself, “What do I want? Here’s a way better question. The years of struggle she endured (and endures) are what make her who she is and makes her work all the more powerful. She lives it. She is actively out there working for change and it’s not easy.  And it’s true, “What determines your success isn’t ‘What do you want to enjoy?’” No, it’s more than that. Manson points out that it’s not the end result that we should focus on when considering our goals. It’s the process and the sacrifice that comes along with reaching that goal “ The question of “What pain do you want to sustain?” is at the root of it all. It’s what we should consider when we start on a life long path.


This semester has been an uphill struggle. I’m sure you (yes, you) can agree with me on this. Being a full-time student, with a full-time job, and another part-time job on top of that is a balancing act. (All while trying to have a social life.Yikes) It’s a struggle. But it’s a struggle that I love. Sure I might not always get a full night's rest, and I constantly find myself rushing from one meeting to the next - but it’s the end goal of where I’m headed that keeps me going. It’s what gets me out of bed in the morning. If I wasn’t engulfed in the daily struggles that expose me to new challenges then I wouldn’t be working for change. I would be stuck and content with the way things are.


So here’s a reminder to myself - your choices today should be a reflection of the person you want to be. Don't ever forget that.


Sincerely,
“My Former Self”

No comments:

Post a Comment