Friday, April 22, 2016

Tool Kit for Change - Beyond HSU

My work at Humboldt State has focused on community gardens, youth engagement, and building positive relations through hands-on approaches. Those have been at the forefront of my essays, my research papers, and my presentations in most, if not all of my classes. I would often dream of one day working or starting a nonprofit organization that focused on just that.


About a week ago, I received a call and an opportunity to pursue that dream over the summer.


Earlier this semester I applied to an internship program in Salem, Oregon that works with youth in a farming program. These high school students have spent the spring season growing their own food - which they will sell during the summer. Shortly after walking at the spring graduation ceremony, I will head north to serve as the Environmental Education Intern with the Marion-Polk Food Share Youth Farm. I will have the opportunity to work directly with young people by leading presentations on food security, environmental justice, and sustainable agriculture all while helping them establish their own business at the Salem Farmers’ Market.


This reminded me about the jobs and careers that we say we want to create. It also reminded me that there are already amazing programs addressing the issues we’re talking about in our classrooms. They might not be a common, but they’re out there. And when we see a need for one of them - it’s important to remember that we can start programs like these using the skills we’ve picked up in our program. We are leaving HSU with a toolkit to build or build on what is already out there.

I’m excited about my experience in their program. I’m also equally excited to apply the training that I have developed through my classes, professors, and fellow classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment