Friday, March 25, 2016

Mark Manson’s Piece titled, you probably know to ask yourself, “What do I want?” Here’s a way better question, led me to reflect on my relationship to my wants and struggles. Manson’s piece suggests that general population wants the reward without the struggle but, what if my wants are to struggle? Not saying that my wants come easy but that they are framed in a way that the struggle and want cannot be separated. I don’t want to be smart I want to study, I don’t want to be fit I want to exercise, I don’t want to be rich I want to work. My parents are loving and supportive and are financially supporting me as I go to HSU. The question I ask when I look at my bills and grades is, have I earned this? I want to be at HSU but, I am separated from the struggle of my want because it has been given to me. Without my parents support I would not be able to attend HSU, should I drop out and start working for my keep even when they are willing? While reading Manson’s piece I started with the position that I am different than the people he is talking about, because I want the struggle. AS I continued to think about what Manson was saying I started to understand that I am no different. Just because I focus on the struggle of the reward doesn’t mean I am able to take more suffering then anyone else or that I enjoy the suffering. My framing of struggle and want hasn’t made my motivation to exercise or study any easier. Manson ended his piece with “choose you struggles wisely” that is the next question I need to reflect on. I need to think critically about how much I can really take on 

No comments:

Post a Comment