Sunday, February 25, 2018

Grounded in Identity

If professors taught like therapists, I wouldn’t think twice to attend a University.  I’m here to  pursue knowledge and wisdom that blows my mind.  Personally, I don’t care if a professor gives two hoots about my emotions within the classroom.  My concerns surround these thoughts; does that professor care if I am learning or not, will that professor push me to my limits and further, and will I leave this university with the tools I need.  If a professor decides to engage to know who the students really are beyond that, because they truly care, then that is icing on the cake.  These professors don’t need to cater to the students, the students need to remember that their in college, not high school.  Universities are a business.  Students pay money to learn and to understand how to apply this knowledge to our system of labor.  There isn’t one job I had, from which a boss has let me bitch and complain to alter the comfort level for me, in order to make my job easier.  It doesn’t always work like that and I wouldn’t be adapting or learning.
Professor Sarah Ray’s curriculum goes further than a normal classroom and education.  What the hell is a normal classroom now and days?  She implements emotion into the education process, because emotion is in everything.  Like I said before, I don’t give two hoots, it does not bother me; but to learn how to control emotions and apply them to the life scenarios, is a different story.  This is relevant in the the world of business.  I am not implying on dividing emotions from business, I am just saying that we have to learn how to control them in our future fields.  This then becomes purposeful towards knowing how to apply our ENST lens in a manner that becomes impactful.  Professor Ray provides scholarly readings, frameworks, critical and interdisciplinary thinking, communication, and exposes our minds towards negative issues.  This method of teaching allows students to break out of their traditional normative lens and detach the blinders.  The brilliance about this is it unifies a diverse group of student’s at the same time, takes past perspectives and moves them forward as a whole.  This creative teaching will indubitably prepare students for their future.
I did not pay for rehabilitation, but if somewhere along the line I deconstruct myself for the betterment towards social and environmental justice, then that is purposeful.  That is an education in the form of grounded in identity.

383313-sepik.jpg (1152×1024)

1 comment:

  1. love this perspective!!! two hoots, indeed. thanks bobby.... this is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete